Monday, July 6, 2009

one more piece of the puzzle

Its been awhile since I have felt the winds of change , or the smell of opportunity .With Alex's new diagnoses as " aspbergers ", it set me into a tailspin discovering all the clues I missed when he was younger . Hind sight is 20/20. I refuse to look in the rear view mirror. I made a promise , a commitment to him & myself when he was diagnosed at 4 with epilepsy that I would do whatever it takes to grow him into a strong, confident, successful man -regardless of his seizures. We have been blessed with extraordinary health care most of those years, so with the teen years here , I started noticing things I thought abnormal. We went down every road , trying to rule out certain things, while managing his seizures. That can be a bumpy ride...lol. I found a qualified doctor that explained all the symptoms of aspbergers and it was a lightening bolt being fired into my head . I get it. This made so much sense. We started 2 new meds that have given him a new lease on life. He is still very quiet, intense, clumsy, socially awkward is putting it mildly. He goes to a therapist twice a month , who helps him sort out all those strange things bubbling through his head. Ok, so I'm getting to a point here, recently we discovered a horse farm 3 minutes from our house that does therapeutic horse riding. So tonight we took him there to sign up , he not only signed up for lessons, he signed up to volunteer with the horses, taking care of them, & helping some of the more challenged riders. That's incredible, he was so touched by the horses, and of the physically challenged riders, that it made him step back and rethink his outlook on life. We have been refusing to let him feel sorry for himself, yes most of his friends are getting driving permits, and yes they can go to roller coasters. But in the big spectrum of life . how important is all that? just a glimmer of hope that he will bond with these horses and feel like he belongs and fits. Of course we all know he does belong , and fits. Its just a matter of having him believe that in himself. I won't give up until he feels it from the inside out .

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

umm yes I spelled aspergers wrong... this is what happens when I post from the laptop in bed half asleep... sorry!

Papaw said...

Good job! I love your dedication! He's a lucky young man to have your unwavering support! Would he like to spend some time on a hillbilly farm in West Virginia?

JoAnn said...

Papaw be careful what you offer, I just might take you up on that!!

Tammy said...

The horse farm sounds like such an awesome opportunity for him. Alex WILL be a strong, confident, and successful man because he has you as his mother and advocate!

Papaw said...

I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it