Monday, October 5, 2009

A weighty issue

2 weeks ago I ventured to the doctor for some final advice on my weight, I had actually contemplated doing bariatric surgery , and just needed some raw advice on what I needed to do.
I am at my highest weight... ever. Even 9 months preggers I weighed 50 pounds less then now. The doctors office did a battery of tests on me, surely someone at my weight would have health complications, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, ... something.. thankfully, I am healthy as a horse. Just fat. The doctor scratched his head in amazement that I had no other health issues. I will take that as a positive. Being this healthy though negated my qualifications for bariatric surgery. Now what? I cried the whole way home , I didn't have any answers, I wanted it fixed , now. Anyone who has battled the weight demon knows it doesn't happen just like that. I've been on diets before , losing 20 pounds and then regaining 30 and back and forth. The old teeter totter effect. Now its to the point where 20 or 30 pounds lost isn't going to be enough.
I'm not completely oblivious to what got me here, first of all, my genes are Amish, my momma knows how to cook a mean meal, we like our bread and real butter! My grandparents owned a bakery. The odds were so stacked against me :-) Suffice it to say, I know good food, I really really like good food.
My next battle was postpartum depression, I went on medications after each birth, and yep , gained weight on each medication. Even though I went off the medications years ago, the weight didn't go with it .
I'm not looking to be a crazy skinny size, I don't even have a number in my head weight wise. I just know I need to feel better, I need to be able to move better, and not feel so sluggish. I'm not willing to completely give up my pizza and pastries, but I have figured out that using the weight watchers point system is working thus far. I've lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, and in that 2 weeks I've eaten pizza from the local pizza shop, cream sticks from an Amish bakery, and french fries from the fair. I'm not buying any weight watchers food either, I've just become ultra aware of my eating triggers and what I'm reaching for. I haven't been hungry and I don't feel like I've been cheated . Its to early to tell if this is going to be a complete success but I'm hopeful.

2 comments:

Elle said...

Joann, I know from what I've read that you are a very strong woman. By the way I took your advice and started blogging ;)
Anyway, You can do whatever is put in front of you. Be thankful that you don't have health issues. I had a cancer scare and that is why I am the size I am. I had to have major stomach surgury. I lost well over 80 pounds and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about that. Take Care, I'll Type Soon...

Unknown said...

Joann,
I know what you mean when you talk about wanting to still eat good, and the food taste good. Tell you what my sister has some awesome recipes that are so good. I'm in my process of trying to lose weight myself. Like my sister pointed out simple things about food choices like instead of using a deep-fryer for french fries, tater tots, chicken fingers all that stuff, put them in the oven and bake them. Its alot better than the grease from a deep-fryer. I've also researched a lot of different exercises. Simple things that take up like 30 minutes a day, like walking is a great thing to do and its easy. You see all these things on tv and I'm like thats a bunch of crap. I mean the way to lose weight and feel good is to just take its slow. Take simple steps and you will progress. Like right now I'm determined to get abs. lol. I know im shooting for a high goal but I'm trying like hell. So hopefully I'm helping with everything. And remeber if you guy's ever need anything get ahold of us.

Sincerely,
Rocky-