Wednesday, September 16, 2009

a sickening experience

Before I start my story , Yes, my oldest 2 sons have cell phones . There are times when I feel like people get so focused on that and their own opinions that everything else is lost. I have my reasons for letting them have the phones, that being said this story has a much larger point. An extremely important point that more people need to understand. I have always been the kind of mom who checks, scans, and reads various forms of communication whether its myspace, text messages, facebook, voice mails. I admit that I probably teeter the edge of invading privacy, its a fine line . Having said that, tonight I was looking through Andy's phone , which I do quite often, and found text messages and a picture of a man . After some further questioning ( read interrogate ) I found out that this "person" met Andy, playing an online game and said he was 12, looking for friends... blah blah blah. Big shocker here.... this "person" is well over 12 .... lets say somewhere in his late 20's. The text messages where sexual, and he only referred to himself as his screen name online . Doug called the phone number , which had a New York exchange, and a man answered and hung up promptly after Doug asked why he was sending lewd messages and pictures to a 10 year old boy. I hope you see where I'm going with this story. I think this person is a very sick individual , I think he had other plans for Andy , to what extent no one knows. I know this has hit close to home and I'm not taking it lightly.
As much as I try to hover over my boys, to know every move before they make it, I can't always catch things the minute they happen. Even without a cell phone , or Internet access, the dangers are huge, we have 2 sex offenders living within a baseballs throw of our house and God knows how many are out there undetected. So if the predator is not coming in through electronic devices, they are lurking elsewhere. I can't put my boys in a bubble , this is a heart wrenching reminder that I need to educate them more then ever, that not everyone has good intentions.
I know someone who was molested for years by a trusted teacher , and church member .... and no one caught it . So yes , the electronic age makes it more convenient for these sick people, but if we are vigilant as parents we can keep ahead of the wolf.

2 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

Oh my goodness. I'd be completely freaked out. Thank goodness that you do keep tabs on their electronics!

Sherry said...

I was just having conversation with Delilah about how protective I am with my kids because I sometimes think I am overbearing. But, your story goes to show you can't be over protective.