Friday, February 6, 2009

The Hamster and The Wheel

You might be thinking this really is about a hamster. You would be wrong, well in the literal sense. This week has been challenging to say the least. I'm certain I've reached a whole new level of exhaustion with a list of "things" to do that is longer then ever! Frustrating to say the least . I just keep getting this mental picture of being like the hamster on the wheel , the faster the hamster runs , the faster the wheel goes . Then I try to figure out HOW I managed to get the wheel to go so fast. When did this insanity start? Trust me, I would be a happy little chubby hamster walking the wheel if I had my way . I have been microscoping my life trying to figure out where the chaos seeps in at, how I can plug the leak , and slow down the wheel before I fall off ! Perhaps part of my problem is thinking that as the kids got older things would be easier . Boy. Was. I . Wrong.
I call that ignorance on my behalf. The challenges that come with teenager-ism , I don't have words for. With 2 more approaching those years , I'm cringing. I don't want to seem like I'm whining , because I know everyone goes through this - some worse - some easier. I grudgingly can now sympathize with my parents for all the hair brained things I did .
All I can say is that I'm glad its Friday , I'm putting behind the 3 basketball games, 2 orthodontist appt, 2 doctors appt, 2 parent teacher conferences, birthday party, bowling teams , and my 40+ hours a week at my J-O-B behind me. I'm going to start this next week with a new perspective and its going to be good , no more visions of hamsters and giant never ending wheels!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think being the parent of a teenager is as, if not MORE, challenging as parenting a toddler. We're just dealing with different circumstances. One of the difficulties with teenagers is that it's not so easy to discipline them nor can you just say "because I said so!" and have them accept it.
In addition to that, for me, I have a really tough time sitting back and watching them make mistakes or watching Life happen to them, without stepping in and being overly protective.
Big hugs, sweets and know that I'm right there with ya! My Trev turns 13 in May and I'll have 2 of them in the house and a third close behind!!
---Nikki