Saturday, January 17, 2009

Behind Closed Doors

I can't help but be intrigued by that thought. Its easy for me to be focused so intensely on my own troubles and issues that it engulfs my entire world, and I can almost convince myself that I'm the only one with challenges. As if the rest of the world is living like the Cleavers?! This whole epiphany hit me as I was reminding Alex that 8th grade is not really an "accurate" measure of the rest of his life, that in the big picture of his life, jr high and high school are but a speck. We have been dealing with an emotional roller coaster with Alex lately so this conversation I'm referring to is like a broken record to him. This past December Alex had a friend that decided to take his own life . I can't even begin to describe how much pain his family must be dealing with . I think that must be one of the worst scenarios parents could fathom. No one could have seen this coming, at least not from Alex's point of view. I'm reminded of all the times I've assumed that people are doing fine, or that a situation is good, only to find out the opposite. Living in a town with the population of say...Mayberry , I'm learning quickly that things are never as they seem, that in reality everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet, that everyone is dealing with problems and life is hard! Sometimes Perception is skewed , and what seems like a problem now, probably won't be there a month from now. Hopefully at least some of that is sinking into Alex. Hopefully!

No comments: