Monday, April 5, 2010

The great mohawk debate


ahhh life in a small town is great... until you go against the grain. Recently Alex decided he would like a mohawk. I heem-hawed around it... not sure. I find it annoying that I actually care what other moms would think of me if I let him do it. Don't you know it? I let him do it and boy-howdy have I hit a nerve with some people. I think it's pretty clear how some parents feel about me. I am also happy to report that I don't care. Alex has always marched to the beat of a different drummer. He likes to experiment. Sometimes I draw the line, sometimes I think there is no harm in trying. Bottom line.. its my decision ... not anyone else. Respect...people.
I personally think he wears it well. I'm not sure I'm thrilled with it, but I sure can think of worse things to want.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

People need to remember that as parents we need to choose our battles and a hair style is definitely not one to make a big deal over! I believe that if you let the kids make the decisions about the small stuff they won't fight you so much on the big stuff! Plus you gave birth to him, not them! I like it!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that you have to pick and choose your battles, with your children and with everyone else. I second Mandy's comment. I realize that some people see it as very "out there" but seriously, people...it's HAIR!. When I let Ry get his, my thought was that it was hair, it would grow back, and if the worst I had to worry about with my kids was a haircut, I was pretty damned lucky! LOL Alex is your son and as long as he's not mugging people in the street, tell 'em where to go :)
Anyone who knows the REAL you, knows better than to judge.

--Nix