Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pieces of me

Maybe its the dawn of a new school year looming in front of us, or absence that brings about new realizations. Its yet another signal that the boys have grown , and time is marching on. I look at my boys and wonder if I've instilled the right values, if I've given them enough that they will have wings to fly. Have I been a positive influence ? have I made the right choices? I always wonder what shines through when I'm not around. Are they kind ? respectful of themselves and others? what part of me have I planted into their being? I notice their friends and characteristics that I see shining through from the parental units , or in some cases lack of parental units. I see parents completely oblivious to what their kids are doing outside of parental presence and wonder ... am I one of those? am I missing the big picture? Someone at work made the comment to me that I was "one" of those moms... the kind that checked her kids myspace page and flipped through text messages . It wasn't said in a positive tone, but that's ok. I don't feel shame that I check on what my teenager is up to. It goes without saying that I started having kids much younger than I should have, so many mistakes, so many bad choices. Now I feel the urgency to know that despite all of that , I will have raised 3 young men who know what love, compassion, and joy feels like. Only time will tell what piece of me they've taken with them, I'm still learning, still stumbling, still praying.

No comments: